I completely revamped the layout and configuration of the modules on the front of the ProGrow. I designed and printed some basic enclosures for all of the different little modules to help isolate each unit and tidy it up. It’s still a mess of wires, but I’m making progress on the overall design. I used 3DS Max to design the basic enclosures, and then I used my Kossel Delta printer to make them. Most of the things were printed using white PLA, but I ran out and used black PLA to print the 9V battery enclosure.
3D Printed Enclosures
I’ve successfully added an SD card module to store data for the long term. I have a spare 16gb MicroSD in there right now, so I have a few years worth of samples that I could store. I’m going to change the SD card to a smaller, more robust one to help avoid catastrophic accidental corruption. I use the SPI.h and SD.h libraries in order to read/write to the SD card and I store the sensor data in a .txt file. I’m working on graphing the data automatically, but it’s not a priority right now.
I removed the 4 digital buttons that I was using for manual control. I made a circuit that outputs an analog signal instead of a digital one, and connected the buttons to a free analog pin. This freed up 4 digital pins for future use. I use a few series resistors to create different analog signals that gets sent out through the purple wire in the image above. The buttons are placed so that they will see different levels of resistance from the chain of resistors when pressed. The programming simply reads the analog value and then makes decisions based off of the value. Much more pin-efficient than before!
The LED display made the old RGB indicator light obsolete, so I removed it. This gives me even more digital pins for future use.
I’m going to work on reducing the power draw, and implementing batteries next. I’ll be publishing a parts list sometime soon.
The ProGrow has been exploding with growth over the past few days. Some of the blades are over 6″ now, despite Ozzies constant attempts to eat all of it. The soil started to develop a very small amount of harmless white mold. I assume the mold is due to the consistently high moisture levels. I treated the mold by adding a trace amount of potassium bicarbonate and cinnamon to the soil, and to the water. The mold vanished in less than two days and the grass seems to appreciate it. I also reduced the frequency of automated watering to once every 6 hours at the most, and changed the moisture threshold that turns on the pump. This should help reduce the moisture levels of the soil, to discourage further mold growth.
I tested the 18650’s that I had laying around, and only two of the batteries were still functional. The other two seemed to be almost completely discharged and are most likely at the end of their life. I’m going to use these two to create the new battery pack for the system. I still need to test the Macbook battery that I have to see if it’s a potential solution, but I prefer the 18650s due to their profile. I’m still waiting on the charging modules from Aliexpress, and it could still be a while. Once the charging modules arrive, I’ll charge up the batteries and do proper measurements to get an idea of their health.
I am considering moving the system from an Arduino UNO to an Arduino Nano. I believe that it would let me reduce the footprint of the project as well as reduce idle power consumption. I’ve received my SD card module in the mail and intend to implement it into the ProGrow as the next step. I am going to remove the RGB indicator LED in order to free up GPIOs for the SD Card. Ozzie seems to like hanging out right next to the ProGrow. It’s like a grass buffet for him!